Last Updated: Wednesday, March 16, 2016, 11:35 AM EDT
This Chef’s Kitchen installment is going vegan, courtesy of the Cider Press Café, an all-vegan restaurant in St. Petersburg.
“It’s entirely plant-based,” Executive Chef Johan Everstijn said. “Nothing is heated above 117 degrees, so it’s essentially raw and maintaining all the nutrients and enzymes in the food.”
The dish is ceviche... without the fish.
Standing in for the fish: mushrooms.
Abalone mushroom ceviche
- 8-10 ounces oyster mushrooms, slice ¼ inch thick (Optional: add shredded trumpet mushrooms)
- 1 medium sweet red bell pepper, julienned ¼ inch by ½ inch long
- 1 tablespoon red onion, julienned ¼ inch thick by ½ inch long
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced (more seeds, more heat)
- 1 tablespoon cilantro leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons passion fruit purée (optional)
- 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 1 pinch cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine oyster mushrooms, bell pepper, onion, jalapeño, garlic, passion fruit purée, oil, vinegar, orange juice, lime juice, cumin, salt, and cilantro in large bowl.
- Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for one hour
- Serve with your favorite tortilla chips or over salad greens