Florida Gov. Rick Scott has called for a Florida Department of Law Enforcement investigation into the law enforcement response to the Parkland school shooting.
- Gov. Scott calls for FDLE investigation Parkland shooting response
- 17 killed Feb. 14 in a mass shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School
- Officials said deputy remained outside school during shooting
FDLE Commissioner, Rick Swearingen, confirmed that they will immediately begin their process.
The announcement comes after 17 people were killed Feb. 14 in a mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland. The gunman, Nikolas Cruz — a 19-year-old former Douglas student — is charged in the deaths.
Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel told CNN that investigators are looking into claims that three other deputies were on the scene but failed to enter the school when the chance to save lives still existed. To date, the investigation pointed to only one deputy being on campus while the killer was present, he said.
Israel also labeled as "absolutely untrue" reports that the deputies waited outside even though children were inside the building needing urgent medical treatment.
On Sunday, the Broward County Sheriff's Office responded to Scott's request.
"BSO will fully cooperate with FDLE, as we believe in full transparency and accountability," Israel stated in a Twitter post. "This independent, outside reivew will ensure public confidence in the findings."
Israel and the sheriff's office have come under withering scrutiny after last week's revelation that deputy Scot Peterson did not go in to confront the suspected shooter Cruz during the Valentine's Day attack.
It is also facing backlash for apparently mishandling some of the 18 tipster calls related to the suspected shooter. The tips were among a series of what authorities now describe as the clearest missed warning signs that Cruz, who had a history of disturbing behavior, posed a serious threat.