Who goes to the airport to try out dessert? The Chef’s Kitchen—that’s who!
Welcome to The Hangar Restaurant & Flight Lounge, located on the second floor of Albert Whitted Airport in downtown St. Petersburg.
This decadent Chocolate Torte is a no-bake, pre-make number that comes right at the perfect time.
We want to keep the holidays special, but many of us are operating out of a "dual-parent employed outside of the house" scenario.
We are maybe too far away to travel to our families, and so we have to do our best in out limited time. This could help.
Chocolate Decadence Torte Recipe
Courtesy Executive Chef Matthew Smith
- 2 LB semi-sweet chocolate, chopped or chips
- 1 LB butter, whole and salted
- 3 C. heavy cream
- 10 egg yokes
- ½ C. sugar
- 3 oz. Frangelico, or espresso
- Place chocolate in a mixing bowl and set over a double boiler on medium heat.
- Add butter and melt slowly, stirring occasionally.
- Take off heat when you have a smooth melted chocolate consistency.
- Heat heavy cream almost to a boil.
- In another mixing bowl, whip egg yokes, sugar and Frangelico together until well-incorporated.
- Slowly add heavy cream to the egg mixture (tempering you egg yokes)
- Keep the egg mixture moving so your eggs just warm up and thicken but don’t scramble.
- Slowly fold your egg mixture into your chocolate mixture
- Spray chocolate molds with pan coating and fill with chocolate (Silicone molds are easiest to use for this recipe)
- Freeze set.
Pop out mold, and serve with your choice of sauce and/or whipped cream. The Hangar used a homemade raspberry sauce with whipped cream.