Orlando City Soccer Club announced Tuesday the list of current players the team will retain for their inaugural Major League Soccer (MLS) season.
Head Coach Adrian Heath said, “As we look ahead to 2015, we intend to enter MLS with the same competitive spirit we developed over the past four years at Orlando City – but it is not an easy task. The roster decisions have been incredibly difficult for us to make, especially as many of the players we are releasing today have been with the Club for several years. I want to thank each of them for all they have contributed to our success over the past four years, and wish them good luck in their future careers. They will always be part of our family, and welcomed by the Club and our fans.”
The current 2015 MLS Roster is comprised of the following signed players:
- Kaká (@Kaka): Midfielder – Former FIFA World Player of the Year, Ballon d’Or winner, member of the 2002 Brazil World Cup Championship team and world class footballer.
- Darwin Cerén (@CerenDarwin): Midfielder – A member of the El Salvador National Team, Cerén scored two (2) goals and three (3) assists as a defensive midfielder for Orlando City in 2014.
- Kevin Molino: Midfielder – The Club’s first MLS signee, Molino was the 2014 USL PRO goal scoring (20), assist (9) record holder and Golden Boot winner.
- Estrela: Midfielder – A EUFA Youth League finalist with SL Benfica, Estrela joined the Club late in the USL PRO season, scoring in his debut match.
- Rafael Ramos (@rafaelramos_27): Defender – A EUFA Youth League finalist with SL Benfica, Ramos joined the Club late in the USL PRO season as an attacking defender, scoring in his debut match.
- Tommy Redding (@Tommy_Redding29): Defender – An Oviedo, Fla., native and member of the U18 Men’s National Team, Redding was signed as the Club’s first MLS Homegrown signing.
- Tyler Turner (@TyTurner02): Defender – A former U.S. U17 Men's National Team captain, Turner joined the Club prior to the 2014 USL PRO season.
The Club is currently in contract negotiations with 2014 USL PRO players Luke Boden, Harrison Heath and Adama Mbengue. The remaining members of the 2014 roster have been released:
Goalkeepers: Miguel Gallardo*, Carl Woszczynski, Rafael Diaz
Defenders: Rob Valentino*, Brad Rusin, Bryan Burke, Justin Clark, Bitielo Jean-Jacques
Midfielders: Austin da Luz, Aodhan Quinn
Forwards: Dennis Chin*, Corey Hertzog, Guiseppe Gentile
*Gallardo was the 2011 USL PRO goalkeeper of the year
*Valentino was the 2011, and 2012 USL PRO defender of the year
*Chin, an Oviedo native, led USL PRO with 11 goals in 2012.