ORLANDO, Fla. — If you're looking to get into that island state of mind, we just may have the solution for you: Seafood paella, a staple of the International Drive Bahama Breeze.
Inspired by Bahama Breeze’s Menu
· 2 tbsp. olive oil
· 1 tbsp. salt and pepper
· ½ tsp. fresh ground black pepper
· 1 lb chicken thigh meat, cut 1″ cubes
· 1 cup yellow onions, ½ inch diced
· 1 cup green bell peppers, ½ inch diced
· 1 tbsp. fresh garlic, minced
· 1 lb. bay scallops
· 1 lb. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (reserve shells for saffron-shrimp stock)
· 1 cup Spanish chorizo pork sausage, cut into medium dice
· 24 black mussels, cleaned and rinsed, beard removed
· 1 pound fresh, firm fish (Mahi Mahi works well), cut into 1 inch pieces
· Saffron-shrimp Stock (see recipe below)
· 2 cups short grain rice – Bomba if available
· ½ cup green peas, cooked
· 1 cup Roma tomatoes, ½″ diced
For Saffron-Shrimp Stock (yields 4 ½ cups):
· 1 tbsp. olive oil
· 2 garlic clove, minced
· ½ cup yellow onions, diced ½ inch
½ cup carrots, diced ½ inch
· ½ cup celery, diced ½ inch
· Shrimp shells, from the peeled shrimp
· 1 tbsp. tomato paste
· 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
· 1 tbsp saffron
· 2 quart water
· 2 bay leaves
· 10 white peppercorns
- Heat oil in a medium-sized pot and add the garlic, onions, carrots, celery and shrimp shells.
- Sauté until the vegetables are cooked and the shrimp shells turn red in color.
- Add the tomato paste.
- While constantly stirring with a cook's spoon, sauté for 30 seconds.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and continue to simmer for 20 minutes.
- Strain the stock through a fine mesh sieve.
- Set aside and keep warm for paella.
- Season chicken and seafood with salt and pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet, then add the seasoned chicken, onions, bell peppers and garlic.
- Sear until the chicken is lightly browned.
- Add the scallops, shrimp and chorizo, and sear for 1 minute.
- Add rice and enough saffron shrimp stock to cover ingredients, bring to a simmer
- When stock is absorbed add more stock; continue adding more stock until the rice is cooked.
- After 20 minutes add mussels, peas and tomatoes
- Continue to simmer until the rice is cooked.
Recipe serves eight.