Good morning, Tampa Bay. Here's what you need to know today.
Your Weather Planner
We enjoy mostly sunny skies and low humidity today.
After a cool start to the day, high temperatures will be in the mid to upper 80s this afternoon.
Northerly winds will increase through the afternoon, gusting to 25 mph near the coast. This will result in choppy waters for boaters through the day.
Otherwise, dry air with comfortable dew points will result in pleasant weather for lunch or dinner outside.
Rain Coverage: 0%
Around Tampa Bay
1. Silver Oaks residents struggle with black mold
Black mold, broken appliances and roaches are just a few of the unsanitary conditions some residents at Silver Oaks apartments say they've had to endure. Tenants say property managers have skipped several of their work orders. Lativia King says she is constantly cleaning mold and is concerned about her family's health. "I do clean up every day," said King, who has been living there for a year.
2. Maple Leafs beat Lightning, take 3-2 series lead
Auston Matthews scored the tiebreaking goal with 6:06 left in the third period and the Toronto Maple Leafs rallied from an early two-goal deficit to beat the Tampa Bay Lightning 4-3 on Tuesday night and take a 3-2 lead in the first-round playoff series.
3. Tampa Bay Coast Guard Auxiliary helps set students up for success
For the first time, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary University Program is setting up a new unit in the Tampa Bay Area.
4. Florida's average gas price jumps, while national average establishes new record
Both the Sunshine State's and the national average for gas prices jumped Tuesday, with the nationwide average setting a record high. The Sunshine State's average gas price jumped to $4.28 per gallon on Tuesday. On Monday, it was at $4.21 per gallon.
5. Honor Flight back after 2+ years, community invited to arrival
The Tampa Bay community is invited to the St.Pete-Clearwater Airport Tuesday night to welcome 66 veterans home from their Honor Flight to Washington D.C. Attendees are asked to arrive at the airport around 7:30 p.m. and parking is free. Flags, signs and well wishes are all welcomed for their arrival.
6. Despite higher gas prices, more Floridians plan to travel this summer, AAA says
Two years of pent-up demand resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic are expected to boost travel in 2022, especially this summer, according to a quarterly survey by AAA, the auto club.
7. Hollywood Beach? Why the film industry is booming in Pinellas County
On this episode of To The Point Already, Spectrum Bay News 9 anchors Rick Elmhorst and Roy De Jesus talk with movers and shakers in the Pinellas County film industry.
Around the Nation
Don't Miss This
- Walk of Fame Star honoring actor James Hong unveiled
- Cirque du Soleil’s 'Drawn to Life' at Disney Springs on scheduled break
- 'They can’t stop us from getting back up': Disney+ releases trailer for new movie on Giannis Antetokounmpo, 'Rise'
- House subcommittee to hold public hearing on UFOs
- Leading by example: A+ Teacher knows what her students are going through
Quote of the Day
Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen on Tuesday warned of a future without access to legal abortions nationwide, saying that it will not only have a harmful effect on women nationwide, but argued it would also have a devastating impact on the United States economy.