Deputies from the Pinellas County Sheriff's Office shot and killed a man they say sexually battered and impregnated an 11-year-old girl.

The man, 42-year-old Gregory Johns, was killed at the Trail's End Motel and Apartments at 11500 Gulf Boulevard in Treasure Island around 5 a.m. Saturday.

According to Pinellas Sheriff Bob Gualtieri, Johns has a lengthy violent criminal history and sexually battered the girl three times. Gualtieri said Johns is the girl's mother's live-in boyfriend.

According to Crimes Against Children Unit detectives, the girl complained of stomach pains and was taken to a local hospital by her mother and Johns late August 27. By the early morning hours of August 28, detectives said tests determined the girl was pregnant; detectives believe Johns first raped the girl in June, asking her to come to his bedroom while her mother was at work.

Upon learning the news, Johns became visibly upset, asked the girl's mother for the keys to their car to get cigarettes, left the hospital and didn't return.

Deputies received a tip from St. Petersburg Police that Johns had used a knife to rob a couple at Vinoy Park later that week.

St. Petersburg Police said that on or around August 29, he broke into a 78-year-old woman's home, tied her up and held her for 12 hours.

That same day, Johns called the 11-year-old girl's mother, apologized for his actions and said officers were going to have to kill him before he returned to jail. Gualtieri said Johns was in jail ten times since 1987 on aggravated assault, armed robbery, burglary and drug charges.

On Saturday morning, law enforcement received a tip that Johns was in a beach motel somewhere between the Madeira Beach Causeway and Central Avenue. Dozens of officers combed the area, planning on making the Trail's End their last stop.

When deputies learned Johns was at the hotel, they isolated it and heard noises from inside. Gualtieri said when Johns would not come out, officers went in the room.

He said Johns burst out of the bathroom with a knife, saying he was going to kill them. Deputies Eric Turner and Claudio Dimundo each fired approximately five rounds, killing Johns.

The deputies have been placed on standard paid administrative leave as the investigation continues.