Richard Davis was one of many that showed up to Tuesday's Pasco County Board of Commissioners meeting.
When it was his turn to speak, he quietly urged the board to close the gun show loophole. Then, Davis returned to his seat, wiping away tears. For him, it's an issue that hits very close to home. Davis is from Newtown, Connecticut.
"The parents will never get over this and the town will never get over this," Davis said. "And I hope this never happens anywhere else."
Davis wasn't alone. Dozens turned out for meeting with the same sentiment.
"Ultimately what we are afraid of is that kind of disaster could happen here," said Lynn Lindemann, chairman of the Pasco Democrats. "What was on the news last night? A college student with an arsenal."
The board initially scheduled a public hearing, set to take place during the meeting. It was supposed to give people a chance to weigh in on an ordinance that would require background checks at gun shows. But, the hearing was canceled earlier this month, after the county attorney advised commissioners to hold off until lawsuits regarding a similar ordinance in neighboring Pinellas County were settled.
But, that explanation did not sit well with supporters of closing the loophole. So, they showed up to the meeting anyway.
"We will not be silenced by the cowardice of elected officials who refuse to allow the public to speak," one woman told the board.
So far only one commissioner has been outspoken in support of closing the loophole.
"If it's good when you go to a store, it should be just as good when you go to a gun show," said Commissioner Pat Mulieri.
As for the rest, those in attendance had a very stern message.
"Have a public hearing, let the people's voice be heard," said one of the last women to take the podium. "We elected you, we pay your salaries!"
In the end, the board listened to everyone who wanted to speak. But once public comment was over, the commissioners moved on. It seems for now; they are heeding the advice of the county attorney.