Students at Loughman Elementary School in Davenport are back from holiday vacation, but some won’t step foot into their own classrooms.
Several rooms have been evacuated after mold was discovered inside.
According to an air quality assessment, visible mold growth was found underneath desks and in other areas inside classrooms. School officials say it was isolated to portables and kindergarten classrooms.
Robin Sylvester’s 11-year-old daughter Caitlin has had respiratory problems, and she wonders if the mold is the issue.
“I don’t know what kind of mold it is, black mold, what is it? They’re all breathing it in,” said Sylvester.
The two types of molds experts found, Aspergillus and Curvularia, are commonly found in warm climates. They can cause sinus infections and breathing problems.
“It worries me because she does have allergies and I don’t know if it’s stemming from school or home or outside. She’s always getting ear infections, sneezing. She gets sick a lot,” Sylvester said.
The rooms impacted will be professionally cleaned. For now, some students have been shuffled to other classrooms.
Specialists will begin that cleaning process on Wednesday.
A facilities manager said parents were notified about the issue yesterday.
The school was tested in October after teachers complained of breathing problems and illnesses.