Bay News 9 has released a new version of our Bay News 9+ app, with a new look for iPhone and Android phone users, as well as marine forecast data for all app users and an enhanced current conditions section.
The app continues to offer the interactive Klystron 9 weather map, local headlines and Safety Net alerts, which let you know whenever severe weather is headed to or strikes in your area.
If you have your device set to automatically accept any app updates, then you don’t need to do anything to get the new version of the app. If you don’t have that setting selected, go to your device's app store to upgrade.
Download it NOW
- iPhone and Ipad users can find Bay News 9+ in the Apple app store.
- Android users can find Bay News 9+ in the Google Play store. Simply do a search for Bay News 9 and select the Bay News 9+ app.
Bay News 9+ for smartphones
iPhone users will notice a new tile layout for the app. The layout shows you all the different options available in the app without having to click on the menu icon.
Keep up with the latest breaking news and news from around your area.
Safety Net Alerts
You can set up weather watches and warnings and even notices of non-severe weather approaching your specific location.
- Click on the menu button on the upper left hand side of the app, then select Safety Net alerts, then click on Enable Alerts.
- Inbox - here is where the most recent alerts are kept.
- Preferences - choose which type of alerts you want to receive:
- NEW! Lightning in Area - sends an alert when a lightning strike is within 10 miles of your location.
- This is where you can disable the alerts.
- Locations - save more than three locations; you can also turn on "current location" to receive alerts no matter where you are!
- Misc - this is where you turn the alert system on or off
Safety Net Alerts are available on smartphones, tablets and iPads.
- View temperature, wind speed, dew point, humidity, visibility and pressure over the next 24 hours.
- Scroll down for the hourly forecast, weekly forecast and the sun and moon positions. Move the slider to the hour of the day you want to see.
- Click on the pin icon on the top of the screen to select your current location, or add several saved locations so it's easy to see what the weather will be like at home, school or work.
- The power of Klystron 9 is in your hands wherever you go!
- Zoom into your location to get LIVE Klystron 9 radar and other data.
- Click on the current location window to label a specific zoomed in location and save it.
- The play arrow on the lower right shows you the weather developments within the past 15 minutes.
- The overlay logo on the bottom right brings up a list of options for you to view on the map.
- Data - Klystron 9 radar, National radar, Temperature, Infrared Satellite, Visible Satellite, NWS local radar,
- NEW -- sea surface temperatures, wind speed, wave heights, ocean currents
- Overlays - All alerts (watches and warnings), ENTLN Lightning, NHC track, Spaghetti plots
- NEW – buoy data
- You can have one data option with one overlay option on at a time
- Settings - choose your view between standard, satellite, or hybrid; control the opacity of the weather data, you can choose to see the map legend and whether to see your location pins
Real time traffic
Interactive traffic map shows you the latest road conditions so you can avoid traffic tie-ups.
Headlines and more!
- Attractions Insider
- Weather blog
- Feedback - contact the station with your story ideas, tips, and pictures!
Bay News 9+ for iPads and tablets
All of the same features are available to iPad and tablet users with the exception of the ability to submit photos. That feature will be added in the future.
Additional features on the iPad and tablets are:
- The Bay News 9 Weather Twitter feed on the weather conditions page.
- A link to the Bay News 9 breaking news and update Twitter feed page.
Bay News 9+ Help & FAQ
How much does the Bay News 9+ app cost?
- Nothing. It is a free service offered by Bay News 9 and its parent company, Charter Communications.
How do I get Bay News 9+?
- If you have an iPhone or iPad go to the App store, search Bay News 9, and install the Bay News 9+ app. If you have an Android phone or tablet go to the Google Play store, search Bay News 9, and install the Bay News 9+ app.
What do I need to run the app on Apple?
- Requires version IOS6 and up
- Size is 13.7 MB
- Optimized for iPhone 5
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
What do I need to run the app on Android?
- Requires version 2.3 and up
- Size is 8.5M
- Compatible with smart phones and tablets
What will the app need to access on my mobile device?
Identity: Find/read accounts on user’s device. This is used for Google Cloud Messaging so that push notifications go through.
Contacts: Needed to import a contact when setting up a custom Safety Net location.
Location: Needed to issue alerts when a user has mobile location enabled. Also used for current conditions/showing user’s location on the map.
Photos/Media/Files: Needed so users may select one of their own photos as an icon for a custom Safety Net location.
Wi-Fi Connection Information: Needed to see a user’s Wi-Fi connection information. For example, if Wi-Fi is turned on and the name(s) of connected devices.
Device ID & Call Information: Needed so a user may bring up the phone screen if an alert is issued for a custom Safety Net location that has a phone number associated with it.
Is there a version for Windows phones available?
- There are no plans at this time to develop an app for Windows phones.
Does Bay News 9+ (Baron Services) sell the contact information to subscribers?
- No, we do not sell the contact information of our subscribers.
Does Bay News 9+ (Baron Services) share my contact information with its partners?
- No, we will not share your contact information with our partners.
Do app alerts count as text messages?
- No. Bay News 9+ Safety Net alerts are over-the-app push notifications, which rely on data usage rather than text message count. Be sure to check with your service provider for data usage rates.
How do I turn on location services?
- To receive Safety Net alerts - when you initially select this option it will go to a screen asking if you wish to enable the alerts. Once you do that, you can manage this in the Settings menu for the alerts under the Misc tab.
- Current and forecast conditions - it defaults to your location, but you can also click on the location window at the top and choose a new location.
- In order for the location services to work, you must check your individual phone settings to make sure your location services are turned on.
How do I get rid of location pins on the weather map?
- Go to the icon on the lower left of the map and then click Settings. Deselect "Show Favorite Locations."
Why can't I see the phone apps in landscape?
- Our app development team is in the process of upgrading the apps to include this option.