Tuesday is Give Day Tampa Bay.
- Give Day Tampa Bay
- More than 500 Bay area non-profits participating
- Day to raise money for local non-profits
The Community Foundation of Tampa Bay puts on the 24-hour online giving challenge to raise money for local non-profit organizations.
Weather you want to help children, the less fortunate or even animals - today is the day to give.
There are more than 500 Bay area non-profits participating. And every dollar given helps them operate.
Sarina Fraunhoffer, a first grade teacher and mom to a 4-year-old with another on the way, benefited from the LYN Fund, a charity participating in Give Day.
"I was 32 when I was diagnosed with breast cancer, stage 3," Fraunhoffer said. "It's one of the scariest things you can ever go through."
Doctors immediately started treatment but she had to find a balance being being pregnant and receiving cancer treatment.
"The very first and foremost thing was I have another human that I'm in charge of that's growing inside of my body, that was very, very scary," Fraunhoffer said.
The LYN Fund helped her through it.
Based in Palm Harbor, the LYN Fund helps women battling cancer.
"They were the most supportive for me financially," Fraunhoffer said. "Emotionally, physically, they were there for me, they've become my family."
"It's so much more than just financial help. It's all the way around, it's a community that comes together and you support each other through these horrible things that happen, it's the best organization out there."
Give Day Tampa Bay
Give Day Tampa Bay is a 24-hour, online charitable giving challenge on May 2. It’s designed to help area nonprofits get much-needed support and to raise awareness of the good work nonprofits do in the Tampa Bay community.
More than 500 nonprofits are registered for Give Day Tampa Bay. Anyone can donate as little as $5 to a nonprofit that’s working to create a better community in Tampa Bay.
Visit GiveDay.org to support causes ranging from education to the environment to animal welfare to the arts.
The Community Foundation of Tampa Bay organizes Give Day Tampa Bay.
It’s an opportunity for people who want to help, but may not know how they can support local nonprofits. During Give Day Tampa Bay, there’s a focus on the collective power of giving and doing good together to make a positive impact on our community.
Opportunities for live shots on Give Day:
• 7-9 a.m. - USAmeriBank is giving free Buddy Brew coffee to all Give Day donors at its Westshore branch, 405 N. Westshore Blvd. in Tampa. The Girl Scouts of West Central Florida will also give away free Girl Scout cookies.
• 9:30 a.m. - High Risk Hope presents a story time lesson on generosity with a reading of “The Giving Tree,” followed by a music lesson in Hyde Park Village, 744 S. Village Circle in Tampa.
• 9:30-10:30 a.m. - NOMAD Art Bus, Bess the Book Bus, Boards 4 Bros, Bluebird Book Bus, Giving Tree Music, and St. Pete Women’s Collective are teaming up as the “Good Moves” caravan to distribute donated books at Town & Country Commons, 7606 Paula Drive in Tampa.
• 10 a.m. – noon - Seventh Mom Project is hosting a “Rock Hunt Play Date” at MacFarlane Park, 1720 N. MacDill Ave., Tampa. The Rock Hunt starts around 10:30 a.m.
• 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. - WEDU PBS livestreams Give Day on wedu.org and giveday.org.
• 3:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. - High Risk Hope Princess and Pirate Meet and Greet with a free screening of the movie, “Storks” at CineBistro, 1609 W. Swann Ave. in Tampa’s Hyde Park Village.
• 4-6 p.m. - NOMAD Art Bus continues its “Good Moves” caravan with donated books, skateboard expos, and art bus painting at Campbell Park Rec Center, 601 14th St. S. in St. Petersburg.
• 5-8 p.m. - Portillo’s restaurants in Brandon (1748 W. Brandon Blvd.) and Tampa (2102 E. Fowler Ave.) will donate 25 percent of its proceeds to Shriners Hospitals for Children.
• 6-8 p.m. - Sweat, Stretch and Rest event at Team Red, White & Blue, 1110 W. Platt St. in Tampa, for the Exalted Warrior Foundation. The functional fitness class is followed by stretching and yoga nidra.
• 6-8 p.m. - CASA and Creative Clay are hosting a joint event at Ferg’s Sports Bar and Grill, 1320 Central Ave. in St. Petersburg. Donors will compete in special contests and carnival-style challenges using the restaurant’s new mini-bowling lanes.
• 6-9 p.m. – NOMAD Art Bus and the “Good Moves” caravan culminates with a wrap party at the Skatepark of Tampa, 4215 E. Columbus Drive in Tampa.
All day events:
• Donate at least $25 to High Risk Hope and receive a $25 shopping pass to Hyde Park Village.
• Beat Nb is unveiling a photography exhibit at Lykes Gaslight Square Park, 401 N. Franklin St. in Tampa. For every donation of $25 or more, one magnet will be removed to reveal a little more of the image underneath the 500 magnets. Donors can take home the magnet and a signed thank you photo of Tampa Bay Lightning player Ryan Callahan.
• Community Food Pantry will receive proceeds from sales at Burger 21’s Carrollwood location, 11777 N. Dale Mabry Highway in Tampa, throughout the day.
• All six Tampa Bay Burger Monger locations will donate a portion of proceeds to Big Brothers Big Sisters of Tampa Bay on Give Day.