CITRUS COUNTY, Fla. — The Citrus County Sheriff's Office is warning about scam phone calls taking place as Hurricane Michael moves through Florida.
- LIVE: Twitter updates from Spectrum News reporters
- RELATED: Schools Monitor Storm For Possible Closings
- LIVE: Watch Spectrum Bay News 9 online
- SIGN UP: Alerts about Hurricane Michael
- Watch our Tropics updates each hour at :49
Residents have been receiving robo-calls that claim to be from the Sheriff's Office.
The call says, "We need to confirm if you have evacuated. If you have evacuated, press 1, if not, press 2."
Authorities said whoever is behind the calls is trying to take advantage of people in the storm's path. Residents who receive the call should hang up immediately.
"Please do not fall victim to this easy scam," the Sheriff's Office said in a Facebook post.