POLK COUNTY, Fla. — The Polk County Sheriff's Office is investigating an incident at Mulberry Middle School on Thursday where deputies say six kids ingested marijuana-laced gummies.
- Deputies say 6 students ingested pot-laced gummies
- 5 students taken to hospital
- 12-year-old accused of handing out gummies
Deputies say the students had a negative reaction to the marijuana edilbles. Five of the students were transported to the hospital, and two other students were picked up by their parents to be medically checked out.
Sheriff Grady Judd said a 12-year-old shared the gummies with the children.
"During second period, which is gym class, he presented this to a total of six other children in seventh grade," Judd said. "I'm told that there were two boys, 12 years of age, and 4 girls."
"We have long been concerned about the dangers of marijuana-infused candy, and that it would get into the hands of, and poison, children. Here's an example of that," Judd said.
Superintendent Jacqueline Byrd said school staff immediately reacted.
Parents said they were shocked to hear about what happened.
"I'm actually pretty glad that it wasn't my kid and I feel real bad for the parents of the kids that it did happen to," said parent Amanda Cochran.
The boy who brought the gummies to school is facing felony charges.
Judd said the symptoms felt by the students included nausea and dizziness.
"We're fortunate in that the children are all going to make a great recovery," Judd said. "They're going to alright."