A Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy was arrested Tuesday after officials said she got into a physical altercation with her wife. 

  • Hillsborough deputy charged with domestic battery on wife
  • Amy Dawson accused of forcibly restraining wife several times
  • Dawson relieved of duty without pay during investigation

The incident happened on March 3 at their home. 

The victim, Aerka Dawson, 29, told officials that her wife, Amy Dawson, 29, forcibly restrained her, causing minor injuries, several times that day after they got into two arguments. 

According to the report, the couple first got into a verbal argument which turned physical. Dawson forcibly restrained the victim by pinning her down against her will in the upstairs bedroom, the report stated. 

The argument subsided and the victim left their home. 

Later that evening, the couple got into another argument where Dawson forcibly restrained her wife several times. According to the report, Dawson first pushed her wife up against their living room wall, then again in their bedroom, and later pressed the victim's forearm against her neck causing a restriction in air flow. 

Officials said the victim did not lose consciousness but had limited air flow.  

According to the report, the victim tried to fight back and received minor bruising to her jaw line, wrist and arms. The victim also complained of pain to her jaw and sternum, officials said. 

The victim contacted the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office on March 6 to report the incidents. 

Officials said Dawson admitted to the alleged actions and was arrested and charged with battery by strangulation, domestic violence battery, and aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. 

She was also relieved of duty without pay pending an internal review. 

Officials also reported another domestic battery incident between the couple on Dec. 31, 2017. 

Officials said the couple got into a verbal argument at which point Dawson pushed the victim into the bathroom, pulled out her duty firearm, and pointed it at the victim. 

The report stated that Dawson threatened to shoot the victim if she left her and then pointed the gun to her own head and threatened to kill herself. 

Officials said the victim was in fear for her life while the threats were made.