TAMPA, Fla. — It has been a little more than 50 years since Martin Luther King’s assassination. His iconic “I Have a Dream” speech still resonates today.
Those four little words, in which King spoke of expanding American values to include the vision of a color-blind society, paint a picture of an America where hard work and good character matter more than a person’s appearance.
Martin Luther King Jr. Day is January 21, and many people will be celebrating the life and legacy of Dr. King.
Here is a list of MLK events across the Bay area:
- Janurary 15 from 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
- Learn about and celebrate the life, words, and ideas of Dr. King.
- Located at 1925 4th Street N., St. Petersburg
- January 21 from 12 p.m. - 3 p.m.
- Two mile route winds through East Tampa
- Parade travels along 15th Street and 21st Ave., ending at 21st Street and Osborne
- January 17 from 12 p.m. - 1 p.m.
- Celebrate, rember, and honor the life of Dr. King
- Event hosted at the C.W. Bill Young VA Medical Center
- Located at 10,000 Bay Pines Blvd., Bay Pines
- January 21 at 11 a.m.
- Parade to include over 100 units and bands
- Located at 3rd Street and 1st Avenue South, St. Petersburg
- January 21 from 2 p.m. - 6 p.m.
- Event follows the Dream Big parade.
- Tropicana Field turns into a festival ground with vendors, kids fun zone, education drive, and entertainment.
- Located at 1 Tropicana Drive, St. Petersburg
- January 21 from 10 a.m. - 12 p.m.
- Parade takes off at Hernando High School
- Free event
- Located at 700 Bell Avenue, Brooksville
MLK Day at Glazer Children's Museum
- January 21, all day
- Join the museum for MLK themed activities
- Located at 110 W Gasparilla Plaza, Tampa
Martin Luther King Jr. Day Celebration at Coachman Park
- January 21
- Located at 301 Drew St, Clearwater