TAMPA, Fla. — A fire in a New Tampa home started after the battery in a "hover-board" burst while it was charging, according to Tampa Fire Rescue.

  • Fire occurred at home in 18200 block of Cozumel Isle Drive
  • No injuries reported
  • Firefighters saved family's pet sugar glider from smoke-filled room
  • More Hillsborough County stories

Officials said firefighters were called to the house in the 18200 block of Cozumel Isle Drive around 7:30 p.m. Friday. Crews were able to quickly locate the fire inside the home and put it out.

According to the homeowner, the fire started due to the battery of a charging hover-board burst, igniting surrounding objects in the room. 

The family got out of the home safely, but asked crews to rescue their pet sugar glider from an upstairs room. Firefighters were able to safely retrieve the pet and return it to the family.

No injuries were reported.