TAMPA, Fla. — A little boy's first day of school was nearly ruined when his apartment building went up in flames.
- Fire happened Monday morning at Pebblewood Apartments
- Zikyi Monlin still attended first day of classes
- WANT TO HELP FAMILY? Visit this GoFund Me page
A fast moving fire broke out in 6-year-old Zikyi Monlin's apartment early Monday morning. Fortunately, he and his mother Lexis Monlin made it to safety.
But while the family is grateful no one was hurt, Lexis Monlin's mother says her daughter and grandson are devastated.
"She has a broken spirit. She doesn't know the next move," Marlo Shelton said. "She has to start over from scratch."
Already, members of the community are stepping in to help. The staff at Woodmont Charter School gathered extra uniforms for Zikyi, who still made it to the first day of class.
Four Pebblewood Apartments in total were damaged by the fire, displacing 19 people. Seven of them are children.
Fire officials believe a malfunctioning Power Wheels motorized car may have sparked the fire.
If you would like to help out the Monlin family, visit this GoFund Me page.
This Gofundme.com site is not managed by Spectrum Bay News 9. For more information on how the site works and the rules visit http://www.gofundme.com/safety