As Hurricane Dorian approaches, Spectrum Bay News 9 and our Weather Experts want to make sure you're well prepared when severe weather threatens.
That includes storm shelter information. If you find that you'll be going to a shelter, here are some things to know.
1. Bring your disaster supply kit with you!
2. Shelters are not designed for comfort, but to hold as many people as they can. Pack efficiently!
3. Make sure you are going to a pet-friendly shelter, and have their shots updated and pack for them. Many shelters require them to be in a crate or carrier.
Here the open shelters in the Bay area that we're aware of at this time.
Click HERE for an interactive map of PET-FRIENDLY shelters - don't leave your family pets and service animals behind!
POLK COUNTY — NO SHELTERS
These shelters were set to open at 8 a.m. Sunday but will no longer open due to new projections on the path of Hurricane Dorian:
• Auburndale High School, 1 Bloodhound Trail, Auburndale
• Chain of Lakes Elementary, 7001 CR 653, Winter Haven
• Davenport School of the Arts, 4751 N CR 547, Davenport
• Donald Bronson Community, 124 Bronson Trail, Polk City
• George Jenkins High School, 6000 Lakeland Highlands Road, Lakeland
• Kathleen High School, 2600 Crutchfield Road, Lakeland
• Lake Marion Creek Elem., 3055 Lk. Marion Creek Road, Poinciana
• Mulberry Middle School, 500 Martin Luther King Ave., Mulberry
Special Needs shelters will also open at 8 a.m. Sunday, for those residents with special medical needs. Polk County Emergency Management’s Special Needs Program is designed to provide shelter and/or transportation for residents with medical or physical conditions and/or dependent on medical electrical equipment who require assistance during an emergency. Those staying at the special needs shelters have been prearranged and registered.
The only pet friendly shelter that will be open will be at Lake Region High School, 1995 Thunder Road, Eagle Lake. Pet owners must bring shot records for their pets, an airline-approved carrying case or crate and pet food.