LARGO, Fla. — Authorities are still investigating what exactly caused a Largo boat explosion and fire on Sunday. 

  • Boat catches fire at marina in Largo
  • The boat exploded after being filled with fuel
  • One person taken to hospital as precaution

The explosion happened just before 4 p.m. at the Indian Springs Marina at 15151 113th Avenue North. 

According to the Pinellas County Sheriff's Marine Unit deputies, the owner of the 2005 Four Winds 25 foot deck boat had just filled it with fuel. 

During the process, some fuel had overflowed and spilled.

The owner of the boat, 50-year-old David Weil, told deputies after cleaning up he attempted to start the boat. David Weil said he attempted to crank the boat several times before it suddenly exploded. David Weil said the blast threw him from the boat onto the dock. 

David Weil's daughter, 21-year-old Hope was knocked from the boat into the water. 

Weil immediately dove in and rescued her. Hope Weil had some minor injuries to her legs and was transported to Bayfront Health St. Petersburg as a precaution. Although David Weil was thrown onto the dock, he was not injured.

When the explosion occurred, David Weil's wife, 49-year-old Gail Weil was standing nearby on the seawall and a family friend, 25-year-old Ryan McMahon was on the dock at the rear of the boat. Both were knocked down as a result of the blast, but neither received any injuries.

The explosion caused the fiberglass boat to catch fire. Indian Spring Marina staff attempted to put out the fire using multiple fire extinguishers. 

However, the blaze was too intense and the fire resulted in the boat partially sinking at the dock.

Largo Fire Rescue responded and were able to extinguish the fire. 

Deputies say approximately 100 gallons of fuel spilled into the Intercostal Waterway as a result of the fire. Afterwards, marina personnel were able to remove the boat from the water and bring it on shore to avoid any further hazards.

The cause of the fire does not appear to be suspicious.