HERNANDO COUNTY, Fla. — The Hernando County Sheriff's Office is offering an interactive training course for residents with a concealed weapons permit.
Here are five things to know about the course:
1. Participants must have active concealed weapon permits and own a firearm.
2. The course starts with classroom work where you'll learn about Florida's Stand Your Ground laws and situational awareness. Then you'll put your skills to the test at the range and in an interacive scenario-based shooting simulator.
3. Sheriff Al Nienhuis said this type of training is typically only offered to law enforcement, but wanted to make sure all gun owners known when, and how, to use their weapons.
"I don't think anyone can argue the point that if people are going to carry a firearm legally, the more training they have the better. We certainly don't want our citizens to be overly confident and maybe pull it or use their weapon when they shouldn't, and of course, we don't want them to be scared to use it if they legitimately need it to protect their life," Nienhuis said.
4. Some local judges and elected officials have been through the course. Sheriff Nienhuis also said that everyone who has gone through it, without exception, has said they learned a lot whether they're avid shooters or just picking up a gun.
5. You must be a Hernando County resident to participate. There is a $100 registration fee.