NEW PORT RICHEY, Fla. — Pasco County Schools and the Florida Department of Health in Pasco County are launching a big vaccination push this week for students 12 years old and up.
According to the Centers For Disease Control, vaccinated students do not have to quarantine or get tested for COVID-19 if they are exposed to someone with COVID, unless they show symptoms.
What You Need To Know
- Pasco County Schools, Dept. of Health launching vaccine push for ages 12 and up
- Vaccines for children available at 4 locations across county
- MORE: Coronavirus headlines
The guidance may help thousands of students across the state avoid missing classroom time in the upcoming school year, as the State Board of Education looks to get brick-and-mortar schools back to a normal school year.
According to the state Department of Health, Pasco County has only seen around 2,000 children 12 and up get vaccinated by early June.
There are more than 70,000 students enrolled in the Pasco School District.
Parents have been hesitant about vaccinating their children.
The CDC said students 12-17 contributed to less than 10% of all COVID cases, and kids in that age range rarely suffer severe symptoms of the disease.
There are four locations starting this week where Pasco parents can get their kids vaccinated before the upcoming school year. Pasco Schools will be using the Pfizer vaccine, which means students will need both doses of the vaccine before being fully vaccinated.
The list below of dates, times, and locations includes the dates for both the first and second doses.
June 22 and July 13
- Sunlake High School classrooms in new building, from 8 a.m. to noon. Parking in the student parking area.
- Fivay High School cafeteria, from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Park in the lot on Chicago Avenue.
July 23 and July 14
- Pasco High School cafeteria, from 8 a.m. to noon. From SR 52, pull in after tennis courts and park in staff or gym parking lot.
- Wiregrass Ranch High School commons area, from 1:30 to 4:30 p.m. Park in faculty parking lot and take sidewalk between Building 300 and main office.