USF junior quarterback Brett Kean has been fully cleared of academic ineligibility following a recent appeal to the NCAA.
Following Wednesday’s practice, USF head coach Charlie Strong confirmed to Spectrum Sports 360 that Kean was good to go and would not have to sit any games.
“(Brett) will not have to sit the two games. He’ll be ready to go," Strong said.
Back on July 10th it was reported by The Daily Stampede that Kean was facing a four game suspension due to academic struggles during this past spring semester.
On July 11th Spectrum Sports 360 learned that Kean was only facing a two game suspension and was set to appeal to the NCAA once summer grades were in. Late last week, Kean’s appeal was handed over to the NCAA.
On Tuesday evening sources reached out to Spectrum Sports 360 regarding the eligibility of USF quarterback Brett Kean. It was revealed to 360 that Kean had been cleared of the final two games of the original four game suspension from earlier this summer. Early Wednesday morning Spectrum Sports 360 learned through a source that eligibility had been decided.
“(Brett) has been competing this whole camp, this whole summer, and it’s just good to finally hear that (Brett is cleared by the NCAA),” said senior wide receiver Tyre McCants. “It had been kind of (up in the air) if he was going to be here, but just that confirmation it gives the team and him a lot more confidence and you could tell today, one he found out, that he was smiling. He’s always been happy but you could definitely tell there was a difference.”
Kean, who was seen as the first string quarterback following spring practices at USF, is battling sophomore quarterback Chris Oladokun (Sickles High School) and graduate transfer Blake Barnett (Arizona State/Alabama) for the right to succeed Quinton Flowers as the leader of the Bulls’ offense for 2018.