As part of PolitiFact Florida's ongoing fact-checking activities, they've made a pledge to employ the same style of check to President Donald Trump as they did to President Barack Obama, namely, an update on campaign pledges made to voters.
This check of a Trump claim was actually a big Republican talking point for a lot of candidates on the campaign trail. Here's what then-candidate Donald Trump promised to do if elected president:
"A requirement that for every new federal regulation, two existing regulations must be eliminated."
PolitiFact Florida reporter Allison Graves says that Trump's promise rates PROMISE KEPT on the Trump-O-Meter.
Graves said this was one of the first things Trump addressed after being sworn into office.
"Shortly after inauguration, President Donald Trump signed an executive order that for every new federal regulation, two must be eliminated," Graves said. "This doesn't include regulations pertaining to military or foreign policy, but this is verbatim to what Trump promised throughout the election."
Graves points out that the looming question centers on execution of the plan.
"The order actually has a plan for execution," Graves said. "The director of the Office of Management and Budget will speak with and meet with agency heads to identify regulations that can be cut. They'll also discuss what regulations they would like to see, and they'll put those into a uniform agenda book. The regulations in that agenda will be the only ones passed, and the order really takes care of a good chunk of Trump's promise to slash federal regulations."
Because of Trump's clear-cut action to move this plan forward, the campaign pledge gets a PROMISE KEPT rating on PolitiFact's Trump-O-Meter.
SOURCES: Trump pledge to reduce federal regulations
- PolitiFact ruling
- White House, Presidential Executive Order on Reducing Regulation and Controlling Regulatory Costs, Jan. 30, 2017
- Donald Trump campaign website, Regulations
- Reuters, Republican Trump says 70 percent of federal regulations 'can go,' Oct. 7, 2016
- BBC, Donald Trump says 70% of federal regulations could go, Oct. 7, 2016
- CNBC, Trump tells business leaders he wants to cut regulations by 75% or 'maybe more', Jan. 23, 2017
- Politico, Trump signs executive order requiring that for every one new regulation, two must be revoked, Jan. 30, 2017