ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. -- Organizers of the Skyway 10K announced Wednesday when registration opens for next year's race.
- 2019 Skyway 10K set for March 3
- Registration announce today
- Changes made for 2nd annual race
Registration will open Thursday, Sept. 13, at 1 p.m.
A launch party was planned for Wednesday at the Seminole Hardrock Hotel and Casino in Tampa from 4 p.m. - 7 p.m. to talk more about the announcement.
The event is free and open to the public. There will be live music, a Skyway 10K merchandise raffle, heavy appetizers, and drink specials.
Event attendees will get the chance to win prizes including two free VIP registrations for the 2019 Skyway 10K.
The inaugural Skyway 10K that took place on March 4 was an overwhelming success. It was the first running event across the Skyway Bridge since it opened in 1987.
One hundred percent of the proceeds from the race will benefit the Armed Forces Families Foundation. This year's race raised $560,000 for the non-profit.
The run begins on I-275 at the rest area just south of the Skyway Bridge and ends at the rest area on the North side of the bridge, which equals 10 kilometers or 6.2 miles. There are even talks of hosting a Skyway half marathon.
Next year's race will be held on March 3.
- Increased number of waves to reduce the congestion on the bridge
- New awards for King and Queen of the Hill (timed race up the incline of the bridge)
- Improved coordination with the City of St. Pete Police and Tampa Bay Rays to ease parking congestion on both Saturday and Sunday
- New iPhone/Android app to keep you updated on Race Day including live parking suggestions
- Improved race shirt sizing
- Redesigned bus boarding queues for easier loading and post-race unloading through the medal and food areas
- Option to have your race packet mailed to you
- Bleacher seating at Tropicana Field around the jumbotron for friends and family to watch the CBS live coverage
- GoPros now allowed on the bridge
- Virtual Racing – details available later this year