“House of Cards” will return for its final season without Kevin Spacey.
- 'House of Cards' to return without Kevin Spacey
- Production will resume early 2018
- 8-episode final season with Robin Wright as lead
The political drama will resume production in early 2018 with eight episodes with Robin Wright as the lead, Chief Content Officer Ted Sarandos said Monday. Previous seasons consisted of 13 episodes each.
Speaking at UBS’s Global Media and Communications Conference in New York, Sarandos said he was happy an agreement had been reached to continue the show and provide “closure” for fans, according to Variety.
In October, actor Anthony Rapp first told Buzzfeed that Spacey made unwanted advances toward him in 1986 — when Rapp was 14 and Spacey was 26.
Days later, Media Rights Capital — the production company behind "House of Cards" — suspended production of the series after the sexual misconduct allegation against Spacey surfaced.
MRC later suspended Spacey while it investigated what it called “serious allegations” concerning the Oscar-winning actor’s behavior on the set of “House of Cards.”
Spacey is one of a number of high-profile men who have been accused of sexual misconduct following a New York Times expose about Harvey Weinstein.
The decision to continue “House of Cards” without Spacey comes after director Ridley Scott removed the actor from his completed film “All the Money in the World” weeks before its theatrical release. Christopher Plummer took over Spacey’s role as J. Paul Getty.