A lawsuit has been filed against cruise giant Royal Caribbean over a disastrous cruise earlier this month.
Despite warnings of a winter storm, Anthem of the Seas set sail Feb. 6 from New Jersey.
The cruise ship, which is the third-largest in the world, sailed into a storm with 125-mph winds and huge waves that violently rocked the ship and created chaos and terror for the 6,000 passengers and 1,500 crew members.
- Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas cleared to sail (Feb. 14)
- Royal Caribbean cruise ship caught in storm headed back to New Jersey (Feb. 9)
- Sen. Nelson calls for investigation of cruise ship in storm (Feb. 9)
According to CNN, passenger Bruce Simpson says during the storm, the ship began to rock and tilt violently and he was flung nearly 18 feet against his cabin door and knocked unconscious. A total of four passengers reported being injured when they were violently thrown around the boat during the storm. The cruise line cut the trip short after four days of the planned seven-day cruise and returned to port.
The lawsuit filed last week in federal court in Miami, alleges that despite knowledge of a well-forecast storm, Royal Caribbean acted in negligence when it let the Anthem of the Seas sail.
"They took a calculated risk when they sent their passengers into the storm, and we don't think the passengers should be the ones that pay for Royal Caribbean's lack of judgment," attorney Jason Itkin said in a written statement.
The cruise line has not responded to the lawsuit.
Florida Sen. Bill Nelson has also called for an NTSB investigation into the incident.
Meanwhile, Royal Caribbean is promising to strengthen its storm policy. Refunds and vouchers also are being given to customers on the rocky cruise.