Good evening, Tampa Bay. We're wrapping up the day for you with the most important stories you need to know and your weather outlook.
Your Weather Planner
You may need the long sleeves again but we will be off to a warmer start. Consider taking a walk during the afternoon as it will be quite pleasant.
A chilly start
Special Inauguration Coverage
Live coverage of the inauguration of President-elect Joe Biden and Vice President-elect Kamala Harris continues on Spectrum News stations and the Spectrum News app.
Today's Big Stories
From the swearing in to the inaugural balls, the Spectrum News team in Washington and around the country is following every development of this momentous day for our Democracy.
“On this January day, my whole soul is in this: bringing America together, uniting our people, uniting our nation, and I ask every American to join me in this cause,” President Joe Biden said Wednesday in his first speech as Commander-in-Chief. Here are the highlights from his inaugural address.
The Presidential Inaugural Committee is hosting lots of virtual events into the late evening, hoping to accommodate the thousands of Americans who were not able to travel to the nation’s capital this year.
Joe Biden and Kamala Harris took their oaths on a bright, sunny Inauguration Day. Many came out to watch Biden become the 46th president and Harris breaking a barrier by becoming the first woman and black and South Asian minority to ever become vice president. These pictures captured history in the making during the 59th presidential inauguration.
President Joe Biden plans to hit the ground running on Day 1 of his presidency, taking quick action to help American families struggling through economic hardships due to the COVID-19 pandemic, as well as undo a number of measures enacted by his predecessor.
The Tampa Bay Young Republicans said they’re not happy with some of the policies the new administration is proposing, and they want to hear more about Donald Trump’s plans moving forward. Michael Womack with the Hillsborough County Young Democrats said he’s hoping to learn more about the Biden Administration’s plans.
Your Notes for Tonight and Tomorrow
- INAUGURATION NOTE: Actor Tom Hanks will host a star-studded “Celebrating America” Primetime Program at 8:30 p.m. EST, with speeches from both Biden and Harris and performances from artists such as Bruce Springsteen, Jon Bon Jovi, Justin Timberlake, Demi Lovato, and John Legend.
- The Senate Commerce, Science, and Transportation Committee will convene at 10 a.m. EST to debate the nomination of Peter Buttigieg to Secretary of Transportation
- President Joe Biden will attend the traditional post-inauguration prayer service at the Washington Cathedral at 10 a.m. EST
- The Biden-Harris administration, planning to undo the previous administration’s withdrawal from the World Health Organization, will participate in the ongoing WHO Executive Board meeting
- Dr. Anthony Fauci, NIAID director, will deliver remarks as head of delegation to the Executive Board on Thursday, Jan. 21
- SpaceX is planning to launch a Falcon 9 rocket on Thursday morning from Cape Canaveral Space Force Station. The launch window opens at 9:24 a.m.
- COVID VACCINE NOTES FOR CITRUS, POLK, PASCO
- The Florida Department of Health in Citrus County will be mailing second dose appointment postcards to individuals who received their first dose of the Moderna COVID-19 Vaccine from DOH-Citrus. Anyone who received their first dose on Jan. 5, 7 and 9 will be receiving an appointment postcard in the mail with a date, time and location to get their second dose from DOH-Citrus.
- The Florida Department of Health Polk County will be working with community vaccination partners across the county to distribute its recent shipment of COVID-19 vaccine. DOH-Polk received a shipment of 5,500 COVID-19 vaccines on Tuesday, January 19. Vaccination partners, including Lakeland Regional Health, BayCare and Polk County Board of County Commissioners, will be assisting DOH-Polk in administering its recent vaccine supply over the next week. DOH-Polk will be dispersing portions of its supplies to each of the hospitals to assist with vaccinations.
- Starting January 25, 2021 the drive-thru testing site at Gulfview Square Mall in Pasco County located at 9409 U.S. Highway 19 in New Port Richey will reduce its hours of operation to three days per week, Monday, Wednesday and Friday, 8 to 11 a.m.
- TRAFFIC NOTE: The northbound lane of North Nebraska Avenue is closed between East Baker Street and East Lake Avenue while the Tampa Water Department repairs a water main break. Northbound traffic will be redirected into the center turn lane. Barricades and signs will be located in the area to assist with traffic flow. The completion of the work with a return to normal traffic patterns is expected by 5 p.m., Friday, January 22.
- LIGHTNING NOTE: The National Hockey League announced today a time change for the Tampa Bay Lightning-Columbus Blue Jackets game scheduled for Saturday, Jan. 23 at Nationwide Arena. The game, originally scheduled for 7 p.m. ET, will now begin at 2 p.m. ET.
In Case You Missed It
Inaugurations are historic milestones and typically it's an opportunity for teachers to show students the peaceful transition of power in action.
This year, some schools across the country advised teachers to be careful showing the event, citing concerns that students could see conflict and violence unfold live on camera after security measures increased dramatically as the date approached. Vanessa LaHaie of Largo made sure her 8 year old did not miss out on history as it unfolded live.